The theme for the October 11 Den Meeting is Bear Necessities. With the campout fresh in our minds, it should be easy to go over what kind of things you would need to bring for yourself or the group. The boys will see if they can setup a simple dome dent on their own. We’ll review the knot we learned last year (square knot), which can be used to tie two ropes together. Then we’ll learn the two half hitches which is a good knot for tying something to a pole, tree, or ring.
Complete Requirements 1 – 4. Requirements 5 and 6 are optional.
- While working on your Bear badge, attend one of the following:
- A daytime or overnight campout with your pack or family
- An outdoor activity with your den or pack
- Day camp
- Resident camp
- Make a list of items you should take along on the activity selected in Req. 1.
- Make a list of equipment that the group should bring along in addition to each Scout’s personal gear for the activity selected in Requirement 1.
- Help set up a tent. Determine a good spot for the tent, and explain to your den leader why you picked it.
- Demonstrate how to tie two half hitches and explain what the hitch is used for.
- Learn how to read a thermometer and a barometer. Keep track
of the temperature and barometric pressure readings and the actual weather at the same time every day for seven days.