The theme for the April 5th Den Meeting is Finding Your Way. The Meeting Plans are here. This adventure was partly done with our Geocaching outing.
There is a pack meeting the very next night with the theme of Cub Scout Carnival. Please return or give me an update on the Camp Card sales. All unsold camp cards must be returned to me by the May 3rd den meeting.
The year is winding down, and the rest of the den meetings this year will be outside unless it is raining. Also, the May pack meeting has been replaced by the May 20th Arrow of Light Ceremony at Cabin John Park campground. The boys will be graduating to the Bear level then.
2016 FINDING YOUR WAY REQUIREMENTS
- Using a map of your city or town, locate where you live.
- Draw a map for a friend so he or she can locate your home, a park, a school, or other locations in your neighborhood. Use symbols to show parks, buildings, trees, and water. You can invent your own symbols. Be sure to include a key so your symbols can be identified.
- Identify what a compass rose is and where it is on the map.
- Use a compass to identify which direction is north. Show how to determine which way is south, east, and west.
- Go on a scavenger hunt using a compass, and locate an object with a compass.
- Using a map and compass, go on a hike or walk with your den or family.
- Gathering Activity: Playground
- Find where we are on the map and the compass rose
- Draw our own maps using the compasses to find directions
- Make posters for the carnival
- Treasure hunt in the field/playground area using GPS
- Make foam flags (if another activity is needed)
- Maps of the area with compass rose
- Paper, posterboard and colored pencils/markers
- Geocaching supplies