The theme for the March 8th Den Meeting is Grow Something. The Meeting Plans are here. This adventure ties into our April outing to Brookside Gardens. We are only having 1 meeting the next two months as we have a lot of other things going on with Pack activities like the Pinewood Derby and Spring Break.
There will be some follow-up for this Adventure to be done at home. Seeds don’t grow in an hour! Please take the things we plant home and have your son take photos or make drawings over the next 4 weeks.
The Geocaching outing is happening this Sunday. You can watch this video if you want to get an idea about what Geocaching is. This outing will tie into the Finding Your Way adventure loop in April.
Bring your Pinewood Derby car and axles if you want to talk over how to put it all together. The last time I looked, there was one of the tools for bending the axles as shown in the YouTube video in the Scout Locker. If it has not disappeared we can use it during the meeting.
2016 GROW SOMETHING REQUIREMENTS
- Select a seed, and plant it in a small container. Care for it for 30 days. Take a picture or make a drawing of your plant once each week to share with your den or family.
- Find out the growing zone for your area, and share the types of plants that will grow best in your zone.
- Visit or research a botanical or community garden in your area, and learn about two of the plants that grow there. Share what you have learned with your den or family.
- Complete one of the following:
- Make a terrarium.
- Using a seed tray, grow a garden inside your home. Keep a journal of its progress for 30 days. Share the results with your den or family.
- Grow a sweet potato plant in water. Keep a journal of its growth for two weeks. Share the information with your den or family
- Gathering Activity: Ping pong ball games
- Plant seeds
- Setup Sweet Potato (add water at home)
- Make foam flags
- Talk over Pinewood Derby, bend Axles if we can